- The Growth Of The “Phygital” Stores– Phygital (physical plus digital) is a marketing term that describes blending digital experiences with physical ones.Itis the combination of digital and real-life experiences, brought together to benefit the consumer. Many Indian companies are now going ‘Phygital’. For example, Firstcry started offline stores in 2012 and currently operates more than 300 franchise stores. Also, Nykaa has similarly done brilliant job with their stores.
- Experiential Marketing– Experiential marketing, also called “engagement marketing,” is a marketing strategy that invites and encourages an audience to interact with a business in a real-world situation.The fact that over 55% of buyers still visit stores before they make purchases online says a lot about the potential of experiential marketing.. For example, one of the most popular brand “Audi India” started its Audi Driving Experience, a national racing-track based high-performance advanced driving education programme, lets consumers get up close and personal with the automobile’s in-built innovation, performance and precision..
- The Rise Of Social Commerce – Social commerce is the use of networking websites such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter as vehicles to promote and sell products and services. Social commerce campaign draw attention of consumers as they interact with the company’s marketing through retweets, likes, and shares. Voonik, a Bangalore-based apparel store that has stylists as part of its team to help you choose your favourite fashion products. It recommends personalised fashion from multiple stores for its users based on what they like (heart) and dislike (x).
- Influencer Marketing –Influencer Marketing is a hybrid of old and new marketing tools, basically it is the idea of the celebrity endorsement and placing a content-driven marketing campaign. Lets understand this with an example of “Himalaya”. Himalaya partnered with leading fashion, beauty and lifestyle bloggers of India namely Esha Hindocha, Avani Hiranandani and Nidhi Agarwal who were part of this campaign to promote their refreshing facial wipes that come in two variants- Moisturising Aloe Vera and Purifying Neem. The bloggers incorporated a wide range of content forms like static posts, grid posts, videos and blog posts. The #WipesOnTheGo campaign was indeed very successful as it generated about 10 lakh impressions, 1.7 lakh engagement and clicks. Also, this was one of the most popular campaigns in the beauty and wellness community.
- Targeting Rural Markets To Drive Growth – Companies across various categories are eyeing smaller towns to open physical stores with an aim to increase their market share. For example, Limeroad plans to open 3,000 offline stores in smaller towns over a period of next 3 years. To what extent these companies manage to milk these potential markets will decide the strength of this trend.
- Evolution of New Payment Solutions – Cash on Delivery (CoD) has been the most popular mode of payment for Indian e-commerce transactions. Cash transactions result in high administration cost even for the e-commerce companies and to reduce this cost new digital payment solutions are evolving , like the electronic wallets have been launched by various e-commerce websites.
- Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR)-Augmented reality works towards creating a more realistic environment for the shoppers and thus helps them choose products wisely. You will find many e-commerce stores offering augmented reality based shopping experience to the shoppers. For example – LensKart– an e-Commerce site based in India allows the shoppers to try their thousands of frames in 3D visualization. Based on the human face points, it creates a virtual 3D face on which you can try out the frames before you buy one.
8. Mobile App Trend – For an online business, building an efficient e-Commerce website is the foremost step. The shoppers are more interested in using mobile phones to make a purchase. Today more than half of the searches on the Google come from mobile devices. Businesses have been asked by search engines to improve their websites and make them mobile friendly as the demand of mobile apps is ever increasing..
9. Personalization-Using personal online data such as search queries, page visits, and purchase history, brands transform their online stores to best serve the customer’s needs and interests. Let’s take the example of e-Commerce giant Amazon, it has already started to work towards offering personalized recommendations based on the purchase history of shoppers.It offers personalization based on the products that are available in your “Wishlist”. Based on the products you have bought it is possible to send exciting offers on various products.
10. Fast Shipping and Better Logistics- Today shoppers are more interested in getting same day delivery for their products and there will be much work done towards it in 2019. More number of e-Commerce stores are expected to come forward to offer same day delivery service for their products and can be accomplished by using different delivery options. The product delivery options will become more flexible and transportation will become better too.
11. Voice Search- As Google Assistant and Alexa become more popular, voice search on mobile devices is being used more often to make purchases. Optimizing ecommerce shop for voice search can position business to receive more traffic.By 2020, more than half of the searches will be voice searches.Business websites are expected to go through dramatic changes to support voice based search engine searches. This means the future e-Commerce stores has to be designed by keeping this feature in mind by e-Commerce website creator.
12. Image Search- The next big thing in upcoming e-Commerce trends is expected to be the product image search. The online stores will allow the users to search for a product on their website by making use of their photos, blog or online images. eBay offers visual search which can be used to search for products in this manner. It is expected that there will be more focus on image search for the e-Commerce sector in upcoming years.